Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Other Tennesseans!!


I was again unable to watch the entire game Saturday night due to scheduling conflicts. I really need to make enough money to ensure nothing interferes with my watching Georgia football. I did continue to sneak out of the other thing I was attending, to catch up on the game and see a few plays. Luckily both were happening at the Tate Student Center, on campus. There was a group of students watching the game whom brought me up to speed every time I returned. Thanks to that group of young, enthusiastic, female fans for all their help.
I’ve said it before, but it warrants repeating. If you’ve never been in Athens on a Saturday night, as a Georgia fan, then you haven’t lived. I arrived in the student lounge in time to watch most of the fourth quarter; it was packed and charged with excitement. Granted I nearly had a heart attack with 7 seconds to go and another with 1 to go. Why did Vandy decide to play its best game in two decades, last night and why did it have to be against us? I’ve got nothing but love for James Franklin and his Dores, what a game. With what happened in Tennessee over the last two weeks, it appears the SEC is about to get tougher.
Now for the fun stuff, the Commodores or the Dores as they’re called, got their name from a nickname given to the schools namesake. So their mascot is a hundred-fifty year old crusty, navy dude, complete with sideburns. I think he had the audacity to chase Uga around the field last night with his cutlass. In the end Uga had the opportunity to chew a little, old navy dude, rear end then came home with a chunk of it and little bits of black cloth, in his teeth.
This is twice now we’ve watched Tennessee teams pull out some crazy stuff, but it appears many teams are using unorthodox plays these days. Where is Vandy getting these plays? Did you see that half@&&, sorry halfback pass? Are their plays coming out of Cracker Jack boxes or coming wrapped around bubble gum?
Georgia is having a great season and it shows. Every week the crowd grows at the Tate Center and every week the atmosphere is more electrically charged, it’s a beautiful thing to watch. Different players continue to catch the fever and step up to make big plays, all of the team seems to be invested in this season.
Now we must prepare for Florida, for me the most important game of the year. Florida is a lame Gazelle, running blindly across the Savannah, on three legs, we are the lead Lion, it don’t suck. Still, we learned last night, anyone can surprise you, you better be payin attention. I’m proud of our boys. Goooooo Dawgs.
“At Vandy we’re going to compete with class and play with class. We lost to a good football team.” James Franklin 10/16/11

No comments:

Post a Comment